About the U.S. Green Building Council
Our goal is green buildings for everyone.
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a nonprofit organization that supports the development of prosperous, healthy and resilient communities through the transformation of the built environment. Through its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building program, USGBC is committed to transforming how our buildings and communities are designed, constructed and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves quality of life.
Our vision at USGBC is that buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation. Through our community network, collaboration with industry experts, market research publications, LEED building certification and network of professional LEED credential holders, our global staff is working every day to help advance spaces that are brighter and healthier for us to live, learn, work and play.
- USGBC serves a diverse global marketplace including building owners and end-users, real estate developers, facility managers, architects, designers, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors, product and building system manufacturers, government agencies, and nonprofits through the LEED green building certification.
- USGBC’s member organizations, global network of LEED professional credential holders and network of local community leaders across the United States and throughout the world are the heart of USGBC's grassroots efforts. Members join as individuals at one of more than 30 of our local communities to realize USGBC's mission of transforming the built environment within a generation through education, outreach and advocacy.
- Center for Green Schools: The Center for Green Schools at USGBC is making sure every student has the opportunity to attend a green school within this generation, because high-performing schools result in high-performing students. The Center works directly with staff, teachers, faculty, students, administrators, elected officials and communities to drive the transformation of all schools into sustainable places to learn, work and play.
- USGBC Membership: USGBC is a movement of community leaders, professionals, businesses and innovators working to accomplish a single bold vision: healthy, efficient and equitable buildings and communities for all. USGBC members make an impact within their sphere of influence and advance the movement for a more sustainable built environment. Employees of member organizations receive exclusive access to resources, education and programs.
- Education @USGBC: Access best-in-class sustainability and green building education to grow your knowledge and fulfill continuing education for LEED credentials, AIA, and others. Education @USGBC includes the LEED v4 web-based reference guide; the ability to learn anytime from anywhere in the world with online and offline components; content in ten languages that is regularly updated and refreshed by partners; the ability to fulﬁll continuing education requirements for all LEED credentials; and a streamlined CE reporting experience.
- USGBC Advocacy: USGBC's advocacy efforts work to accelerate the uptake of state, local and national policies that advance energy conservation, green building and livable communities. From the more than 400 municipalities, 32 states and 14 federal agencies that reference LEED as a best-practice for achieving sustainability goals to the Coalition for Better Buildings, the partnership between political advocacy and the green building movement is reflected in accomplishments across the U.S. and globally.
- Greenbuild International Conference & Expo is the world’s largest green building conference and has become the go-to place for the green building industry to convene. Greenbuild is held in the U.S., India, China, Europe and Mexico and brings together leaders from industry, government and nonprofits to learn about the newest, most groundbreaking green building products, services and technologies. Thousands gather at Greenbuild each year to renew their commitment to the green building movement. The conferences include uplifting speakers, unmatched networking opportunities, showcases, LEED workshops and tours of green buildings in each local market. Past speakers include: President Bill Clinton, famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, director James Cameron, explorer and author Sebastian Junger, Ret. Gen. Colin Powell, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former Vice President Al Gore, among many others.